Thursday, April 12, 2012

Altadena outdoors: Horses, lumberjacks, and earthquakes

Up close & personal with the mountains on the Rubio trail

A writer should never ask to be excused for not writing. But I have been writing! Just not on Bluehouseviews. Below is the list of articles I've written for Altadena Patch and Altadenablog since the first of the year. Other than that, my Examiner columns, and the writing group at Monte Vista Grove, I've been enjoying my first grandson.

Patch got a three-parter out of the Altadena Crest Trail Restoration Working Group, which met with a representative from L.A. County to share ideas of what needs to be done to ensure trail access for residents. The first part, "Concerns Over Altadena Crest Trail Conveyed to County Consultant" addresses the trail. Part 2, "Altadena's Equestrian Future", talks about equestrian concerns, and Part 3 about bicycling.

What does one do with all those downed trees after a windstorm? Read "Altadena Heritage hosts urban lumberjacks (and they're OK)" on Altadenablog to find out. And check back next week for a follow up, "Managing the Urban Forest".

I wrote about my experiences getting Community Emergency Response Team training in "What Is CERT and Why Is It Important" for Patch. CERT teaches regular folks to be prepared for emergencies from simple first aid to massive earthquakes.

Of course, my Examiner columns (listed at right) have lots of interesting goings-on with Altadena, the San Gabriel Foothills, and the Tournament of Roses.



No comments:

Post a Comment