Saturday, August 27, 2011

Catching up: Boys Republic, Altadena Urban Farmer's Market, Tournament of Roses

It is hot in my office right now, about 95 degrees. The only mitigating thing that can be said, as my fingers stick to the keys as I type, is that it is much nicer here in Gabriel's old bedroom than when I had my office upstairs.  Sometimes there is a 20-degree difference in temperature.  Not today, today it's only about 10 degrees.

Here are my latest stories for Altadenablog, Patch, and my Tournament of Roses column.


"Boys Republic Auxiliary's century of service" took me to a thrift shop in Altadena next to the post office.  The ladies and gents sell used merchandise to raise funds for the Boys Republic.  Actor Steve McQueen, a juvenile delinquent, had his life turned around at Boys Republic and was a supporter the rest of his life.

"Altadena Urban Farmer's Market Seeking New Location" presents the decisions the fledgling organization faces as it seeks to re-establish the popular underground market.  It was formerly held at the Zane Grey estate in Altadena.  There's also mention of the certified farmer's market which is on tap for October at Loma Alta Park.  I can walk there!

Of course, my favorite stories are usually about the Rose Parade or other local events.  Here are two:

"Pasadena's birthday party shows of 125 years of vehicles" is the last in my series of articles about the quasquicentennial of Pasadena.  It made for a summer of fun!
"Service clubs participate to spread the word" is another in my series on the 2011 Rose Parade floats.  Each of the award-winner got its own article, and the rest I've divided into categories.

Soon it will be time to guess the next Grand Marshal, welcome the Queen and Royal Court, and attend celebrations, announcements, and the parade itself.

Keep reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment